RE: Image attachments to ASCII RFCs (was: Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats))

2006-06-18 04:28:09

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman [mailto:jhutz(_at_)cmu(_dot_)edu]

... and, you've completely missed the point.

Currently, RFC's are published and distributed in a form
which is so straightforward that a child could write software
to view or produce it.

Show me a PDF viewer written by a 16-year-old in BASIC, or
whatever it is that bored kids write software in these days.

I am more concerned about making a document readable and intelligible by a 16
year old doing a high school class than the somewhat bizare notion of them
writing text editors for use by people writing them.

The steps required to format an RFC nicely are far from trivial.

I have written ps peresentation software, its essentially the same problem as
pdf. Its not that much harder to do.