Objection to publishing draft-ash-alt-formats-02.pdf as a 3933 Experiment

2006-06-19 08:53:43
I hereby formally add my voice to the list of people who think that draft-ash-alt-formats should not be published in its present form as the basis for an RFC 3933 experiment.

I would change this opinion if:

- The description of the evaluation of the experiment was extended to include: - Ability of people with a variety of different PDF readers to display the document (including Frank's OS/2 viewer!) - Ability of people with disabilities (blind, visually handicapped) to understand the document
  - Ability of people to excerpt from the document

- The security section of the document were extended to describe the security issues surrounding PDF, including executable embedding, and possible countermeasures

- The document admitted itself as one of the three documents to be processed under its own exception

Other people have raised other points that probably should be addressed. These are mine.

I think the idea of running an experiment, and, if necesary, sacrificing the long-time retrievability of the two RFCs on the altar of the great god Progress, is a good idea.

But I think the document is not ready for publication in this version.

                             Harald