Re: IANA SLA Input Sought

2006-06-28 02:45:23
Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Ray Pelletier wrote:

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

Who does or will pay for the IANA function? Does funding come from IASA, ICANN, or some other source?

To my knowledge, it's ICANN, not the IETF.
Ray

Yes, this has been an ICANN contribution to the community since
the creation of ICANN, when these functions were transferred from
their previous home at ISI.
Note: I think we need to define IETF requirements and get them filled, and that this process is one way of achieving that.

If we find that ICANN isn't willing or able to do what we desire from them, we need to go somewhere else for running registries - at least new ones, and possibly old ones too. (There are some old ones with thorny issues attached to them, but new ones don't have that.)

So ICANN doing this "for free" does not mean that we don't get to say how the job is done.

                             Harald