Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

2006-06-29 02:51:10
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
From: Jeffrey Hutzelman [mailto:jhutz(_at_)cmu(_dot_)edu]

I do think that there should be a fixed rule prohibiting members of the IESG being WG chairs. I would also include the IETF

chair in this.

Most ADs positively want to drop their WG chairships in a hurry,
because they don't have time any more. I'm not asserting it's
universal, but it was certainly my reaction.

One exception is generic Area WGs such as TSVWG, where you will
notice that a third chair was appointed, which seems like
good practice.

I don't. While I agree this should be a rare occurrance, I have seen no evidence of a problem that such a rule would be intended to address. If it's not broken, why spend time trying to "fix" it?

I was unable to appeal to the IESG against what I considered to be a very grave
abuse of position by a chair precisely because I was warned that there was no
prospect of getting a fair hearing as he was a member of the IESG.

That is why we have an appeal chain, i.e. if such proved to be the case
you could have appealed further to the IAB. (In fact, you just gave the
worst possible reason for not appealing, IMHO.)

    Brian