draft-carpenter-ietf-disputes [Re: Response to the Appeal by [...]]

2006-07-22 00:03:12
I'd be interested in any comments on draft-carpenter-ietf-disputes-00.txt
in this context.

   Brian

Pete Resnick wrote:
On 7/19/06 at 9:02 AM -0400, Thomas Narten wrote:

...it makes no sense to appeal to ISOC that "the process itself was unfair and has failed to produce a proper result", if there wasn't first an appeal on actual substance that didn't result in the appropriate outcome.

But, technically, I would not expect the appeal to the IESG/IAB and the one to the ISOC to be exactly the same. In the former case, the appeal is presumably on actual decisions and actions made in WGs, by the IESG, etc. In the latter case, the argument is much more about the process itself (and how it failed to "protect the rights of all parties in a fair and open Internet Standards Process" as indicated in 2026) and is less focussed on the details that led to the original appeal.

On this we might agree (though I think this is something different than what Brian and Sam are saying): You can read "Further recourse..." to mean that you can't appeal a process on the grounds of fairness unless you have been affected by that process. But I think we also agree that you don't bring the question of fairness of the process to IESG/IAB, but straight to ISOC: The appeal you bring to the IESG/IAB is different from the one you bring to ISOC.