Re: Appeals, post-appeal discussions, DoS attacks on the IETF, and the depth of turtles

2006-07-22 16:23:55
Dear John,
I see at least five different topics discussed in one single thread.

1. there are two different debates. The debate confuses my case and the need to better manage the IETF conflict resolution system. I have tried to differentiate what belongs to what and to help taking advantage from my experience for the general good. But I certainly follow my own pragmatic strategy. This mail is an attempt to help.

2. the qualification of the conflict. My case is typical: I am accused to have disrupted the consensus effort. I have actually obtained the consensus I was denied, with the appeal responses I wanted. The conflict was therefore not an RFC 3863 conflict. It was up to the Chairs, to the AD, and to the IESG to correctly requalify it. I thought Brian would do it. May be he had not the authority or the desire?

3. the particular nature of my own position. I always made clear I carried IETF deliverable user QA, not being a "co-designer" but an external system designer only wanting to help, obtain, or preserve interoperability with non IETF solutions like mine. As such, I obviously object to the RFC 3935 defined IETF mission "to influence the way people [me in this case] design, use and manage the Internet" and its resulting effort of exclusion and DoS of what is perceived as a technical "competition" of mine.

4. the different types of conflict. This is the most important point for the IETF common process. The IETF needs to address at least three different kinds of conflict for a single solution.

4.1. technical conflicts. These conflicts can result from a mistake, or from external interferences. The IESG's target should be to avoid the errors and to protect the IETF from external short terms or unilateral interests. The two main sources of these problems have been clearly identified as "affinity groups" (RFC 3774) and "commercial R&D funding" (IAB RFC 3869).

4.2. personal issues. The IETF is a human group where there can be ad hominem conflicts, attitudes, or deliberate actions. I disagree that they should be carried through external judicial process. For three reasons I experienced: (a) the IETF is not organized to take the outcome into account (b) a judicial process may involve the IETF if it is claimed it fostered the ad hominems (c) IETF participants have not been educated of the resulting risks. Instead the IETF should organize itself to mechanically prevent defamation. IMHO the error is the RFC 3863 public LC and the lack of balanced risk for the plaintiff in case of DoSing an opponent.

4.3. IANA registries. The IETF RFC 3935 "influence" is limited by the market adhesion to its standards. In the case of IANA registries there is no market alternative [we saw that in the alt-root case]. The control of a IANA registry can therefore be strategic. Until now the IANA had three main areas: numbers, names, protocol parameters. The numbers/names are pure Internet issues but were considered sensible enough to be delegated to ICANN. The new area of languages is not an Internet issue, is far more important and sensible than names and numbers, and is de facto [this is what I object] delegated to UNICODE. The IETF is obviously not prepared to this kind of fundamental conflict.

5. IETF strategy. There are cases where a possible solution is a significant change of the IETF, or even to kill the IETF itself. The conflict I am engaged into, is certainly of that nature. RFC 3935 gives "IETF leaders" the capacity to address such situations, except when the opposed option is defended by one/several IETF leaders. We should not consider that such conflicts are exceptional: the lack of architectural guidance by the IAB raises several other issues. After the Multilingual Internet, what about the multilateral, the multitechnology, etc. support?

Ad hominem rules. It is always advisable to take advantage from experience, but it is always unadvisable to build rules in considering one single case. And doing that to reduce the normal appeal mechanism which is part of the normal process. The only direct effect of my PR-defamaction was to permit my ban from a list I had left and from a list where I had sent my last mail. However, the indirect effect is to maintain a temporary situation [the RFC 3066 Bis had addressed] to prevent me to participate to the IANA Language Registries review process (and obtain interoperability with "my" system in sensible areas). This kind of ad hominem ruling absurdly perpetuates a contention point which hurts the IETF/IESG/IANA image and credibility, and I can so easily dispute or overcome.

jfc