Re: Appeals, post-appeal discussions, DoS attacks on the IETF, and the depth of turtles

2006-07-23 22:12:53
John C Klensin wrote:

I commend draft-carpenter-ietf-disputes-00 as an attempt to
rethink this area.  People who are interested in this topic
should probably study it.

Yes, it's interesting.  With a mandatory "attempt of peaceful
settlement", probably a good idea.  But I won't subscribe to

| Participants in the IETF are deemed to agree to these
| procedures in full and final settlement of such disputes.

Also interesting is "deciding to issue a Last Call cannot be
the subject of the DRP".  That misses the point of a decision
NOT to issue a last call, e.g. whith the known caee of two
mutually exclusive documents.  So that clause is no progress
in relation to 2026, it's only clearer.

Is the "single dispute per topic" okay ?  There can be legit
cases of different disputes per 'topic', if a 'topic' is the
disputed decision.  Again the known example, IMO both appeals
made sense, and addressed different technical 'topics'.  They
also got different decisions.

Otherwise the draft is clearer than the related points in 2026.

draft-klensin-recall-rev-00 (long expired) was intended to
make it easier for the IAB or IESG to identify problems in
their own environment that were linked to individuals and
initiate a community process to solve them.

s/community/Nomcom eligible/ - the recall stuff is restricted
to the paying members.

draft-klensin-chair-empowerment-01

Apparently not yet available, looking into -00:  A duel, good
idea.  Add an enforced delay, a week or so, it's too easy to
do something stupid.

Frank