Re: RFC 4612 - historic status

2006-08-13 20:26:26
Mr. Jones - welcome to the smoke screen. What you are finding is that this
IETF does not have most of the formal infrastructure that its documents
allude to. It has no formal method of creating Informational Filings and in
all instances passes them off as Historic as though only genesis that
happens within the IETF counts in this world.

Understand some of my frustration at trying to get other key entities to
adopt processes with the IETF when they have no

    1)     process for inducting information from external sources that is
published for reference and not for development or respect for copyrights of
contributors, or those filing for informational purposes where there is no
copyright conveyance beyond joint-publication rights.

    2)    process for accepting formal notice of anything relative to this
thing called erroneously a Request For Comments (which based on IETF
processes could be called an Internal Technology Vetting Document since it
really isn't a 'request for anything' but rather a proclamation for people
to base other things on.

    3)    method at the organizational level of cross-collaboration on
anything with anyone... there have been some unusual instances in various
WG's where cross-collaboration between other externals and the WG occurred
on a project level; but at the organizational and more importantly the
brand-recognition level - this IETF has nothing really implemented to
address these needs.

Ah well...

todd glassey