Re: RFC 4612 - historic status

2006-08-14 02:23:25
I suggest that instead of disturbing a couple of thousand people
with this discussion, it would be profitable to take it up
with the RAI Area Directors. They certainly know more about it
than I do.

    Brian

Paul E. Jones wrote:
John,

In the case of RFC 4612, I was not terribly surprised given the fact that
RFC 4351 had already gone through the same discussion.  In any case, the ITU
had long finished its work on T.38 before the IETF completed its work on the
audio/t38 registration.  T.38 does not reference RFC 4612, obviously.

In the case of RFC 4351, that was a surprise and I argued with a few folks
over the decision to make it historic.  However, I lost the argument.
However, losing the argument does not change the minds of those doing work
in the ITU.  I did report the situation to folks in the ITU and there was
serious consideration given to just not publishing the IETF text at all OR
just re-publishing it and not referencing the IETF text.  (V.151 now
references RFC 4351, which I think was the best outcome in spite of the
"historic" status.)

I will not disagree with the beauty of media type separation.

Nonetheless, I think it is important to consider the fact that the different
organizations have different ways at looking at a problem.  The IETF views
voice and DTMF as "audio", video as "video", fax as "image", and TTY/TDD
tones as "text".  If I were to implement a PC application, that would all
make perfect sense.

But, what do we call video with embedded text sub-titles?
What is the difference between "image" and "voice" to a gateway that is
responsible for receiving signals from a PSTN circuit, transporting those
over IP, and delivering those back to a PSTN circuit?

If one has a rack of gateway boxes that provide service to 100,000 DS0s, how
much additional money does the buyer want to pay in order to cleanly
separate those media streams received over that circuit?  Cost was
definitely a consideration in the decision-making process.

I'm still beside myself that folks are willing to say that DTMF is a special
case of audio, while fax or text tones received from a switched circuit are
not.  Following the logic of separating text and fax, DTMF should have been
separated and placed into the call signaling path.

In any case, as I said: I'm more or less the guy caught in the middle of two
organizations with differing opinions.  The IETF can do what it wants.  The
ITU can do what it wants.  At the end of the day, we are all scrambling to
get the aging SIP stuff to work in the face of Skype dominating the market
;-)

My point: doing something the most architecturally "pure" way does not
necessarily lead to profit or success in a reasonable time frame.
Compromises must be made and progress must be hastened.  By the time you get
it all working the "right" way, technology will change, values will change,
and applications will change.  This is probably much less true for
transport-layer matters than applications.  Applications can be quite
flexible.

The nice thing about applications is that they can change over time.  While
audio and fax might be sent over the same RTP session today (they are not,
BTW: today, fax is sent as "image/t38" and it's very painful and entirely
insecure), that can be changed over time to operate over a separate path
(cleanly).  It may or may not be RTP by then, because perhaps that might
also change.  Perhaps fax will disappear completely.  Perhaps a fax machine
will be a device that has a keyword that allows one to enter an e-mail
address, scan pages, and transmit TIFF or PDF files.  Perhaps the World's
preferred file formats might also change.  Perhaps it will be Microsoft's
new XPS?

Paul