Re: [Ltru] Re: WG Review: Recharter of Language Tag Registry Update (ltru)

2006-08-25 03:53:40
Doug Ewell wrote:
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:23:54 -0400, IESG Secretary <iesg dash secretary at ietf dot org> wrote:

A modified charter has been submitted for the Language Tag Registry Update (ltru) working group in the Applications Area of the IETF. The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The modified charter is provided below for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org) by August 29th.

Goals and Milestones:

September 2006 Submit first WG draft of registry procedure update
September 2006 Submit first WG draft of registry data update
January 2007 Submit registry procedure update draft for IETF Last Call
January 2007 Submit registry data update draft for IETF Last Call

As the likely editor of the "registry data update" document, I'd like to request that the milestones for the first drafts be extended to October, or perhaps even November, and that the milestones for Last Call drafts remain at least 3 months after the first drafts (e.g. moving them to February if the first drafts arrive in November).

Having experienced many lengthy delays in LTRU 1.0, which pushed the original milestones out by many months, I'd like to make sure we have a reasonable chance of hitting the LTRU 2.0 dates. There are several issues to be discussed within the WG before realistic first drafts can be written. The decision on the new charter will not be made until at least August 29, leaving only 32 days to discuss these issues and write drafts before the first milestone.
I concur.

Note also that if the ISO process is delayed for any reason, the completion timelines will also have to move; ISO does not have a stellar track record of keeping schedules either.

                    Harald