RE: NOMCOM term limits... Re: Now there seems to be lackofcommunicaiton here...

2006-09-05 13:59:39

From: Sandy Wills [mailto:sandy(_at_)WEIJax(_dot_)com]

(I use the car analogy almost every day in my small computer
and network maintenance company, because most of my customers
drive, and they recognize that as drivers they are
responsible for wisely using a technology that they don't understand.)

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

The voices that need to be heard most in the IETF are the
95% or more
who have difficulty with the technology foisted upon them.

A century ago car breakdowns were invariably considered the
fault of
the driver for failling to maintain their automobile sufficiently.

    Yes, but ONLY because, a century ago, cars were so
unreliable that only a mechanic would buy one, except for
those who were so wealthy that they could afford to hire a
mechanic to maintain it.  Of course you then blame the mechanic.

My point is that today the IETF is set up to only listen to the mechanics and
to further their interests.

Cars became more reliable because consumers insisted on it and established
organizations that were designed to give them a voice.

If the mechanics had got their way cars would probably still require a major
service every 2,500 miles.