RE: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process

2006-09-15 05:42:42
Noel Chiappa writes...

...I think perhaps the most useful one in practise is
another one which I mentioned earlier:

    >> Rather than having everyone spend ten minutes on
    >> deciding who to select, a subset (which the random
    >> draw hopefully makes reasonably representative of
    >> the group as a whole) does a more in-depth and
    >> thought-through selection.

I agree.

Since this thread has been going done the path of civic governance
models, let me elaborate one that supports the current NOMCOM model.

In my area, many towns govern themselves via Town Meeting, in which all
voters are invited to a deliberative session to pass budgets, ordinances
and the like.  When all goes according to plan, there is an open
exchange of information and a reasoned debate on the issues prior to
each vote.  Many claim this to be the "true democracy".

Other towns have decided that the population has grown too large for
Town Meeting to be practical and effective.  One alternative is
Representative Town Meeting.  The electorate chooses (by election) a
tractable number of representatives to attend the Town Meeting on their
behalf.  These representatives debate the issues and vote them up or
down.

I think NOMCOM is like a Representative Town Meeting, in which the
representatives are chosen by a random selection process, rather than by
election.  The outcome, which supports in-depth consideration and
substantial, informed debate, is much the same.

Quite frankly, I don't see a need to substantially change this model.