Re: Facts, please, not handwaving [Re: Its about mandate RE: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process]

2006-09-19 18:16:36
        I would argue that "Proposed Standard" as the end-of-the-line
in our standardization process is just wrong.  I certainly can see
an argument for merging "Proposed" and "Draft" - but there are lots
of indications that even the simplified one-step process of moving from Draft to full Standard would not get done much of the time.

The reality of the current IETF is that we view publishing a Proposed specification as an indication of success. That is, we think it is an ending, rather than a beginning.

A minor problem with this is that we have no sense of what IETF actually gets deployed and used, and what doesn't. This leaves us exposed to developing very unrealistic feeling about our current impact on the Internet.

(The status of Historic is not relevant to this question, since it is applied only erratically and long after a specification has demonstrated that it is not useful...any more.)

What we need is a more immediate basis for assessing current utility of recent IETF work.

That's why I keep suggesting that we set a time-limit for deployment and use of Proposed specifications. Those failing to garner the necessary community support automatically go to Historic. Those that succeed go to Full.

Of course, such a mechanism would require that the IETF community actually step up and take affirmative responsibility for whether our output gets used.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking