RE: [Nea] Re: WG Review: Network Endpoint Assessment (nea)

2006-10-11 10:34:17

Hi Darryl,
Your email indicates that you would:

a) somehow require that a visitor's laptop run an NEA client,
b) expect the device to support PAs that the server requires to be
checked, and
c) trust data coming out of it,

rather than treat that endpoint as an unknown endpoint and do IDS/IPS in
the network.

Other than finding this a rather bizzarre trust model, I have to say
that there will be a very small set of such endpoints where the owner of
that endpoint is going to be thrilled to allow you to place such clients
on his/her device and perform updates on it.

In short, this is exactly the type of endpoint I wouldn't imagine NEA
being useful for!

Vidya