Re: [Nea] Re: WG Review: Network Endpoint Assessment (nea)

2006-10-17 00:42:57
At 12:29 AM 10/17/2006, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
At 11:06 PM 10/16/2006, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
Narayanan, Vidya wrote:
Harald,
<snip>
<snip>

"NEA is applicable to computing environments of enterprises where endpoints accessing the enterprise's network are owned and/or expected to conform to the policies set forth by the organization that owns and operates the network. In all other cases, NEA and associated procedures and protocols are ineffective."

Let us make that change so it is clear to everyone as to what NEA might and might not do.
I don't think we have any proof that this statement is true. I can think of scenarios where NEA would be useful, but they depend on various circumstances that either would be very specialized or require a great deal of faith in order to believe they would happen.

I suggest:

"All other cases are outside the scope of the NEA charter, since we do not know that NEA would be useful in such cases."

Ok.

For the benefit of the editor:

Let us replace:

"There is an open issue with respect to NEA applicability in deployment scenarios where the endpoint is owned by a party that is different from the organization providing network access."

with

"NEA is applicable to computing environments of enterprises where endpoints accessing the enterprise's network are owned and/or expected to conform to the policies set forth by the organization that owns and operates the network. All other cases are outside the scope of the NEA charter, since we do not know that NEA would be useful in such cases."

Lakshminath