Re: draft-iesg-discuss-criteria (was: [...] DISCUSS: draft-carpenter-rescind-3683)

2006-10-19 21:10:34
At 11:12 PM -0400 10/19/06, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

(presumably, an IESG member having only weak objections would enter an
"abstain",

This is not what an abstain means in the IESG's procedures.    The text
from http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/voting-procedures.txt says:

- "Abstain" means "I cannot vote to send this document forward."
   There are two obvious reasons one might vote this way:
      - so strongly opposed to document that I am unwilling to "discuss".
        (note that this should be very unusual)
      - I oppose this document for some philosophical reason but
        understand that others differ and am not going to stand
        in the way of the others

In the normal case, the "Comments" field will indicate why an
AD decided to abstain.

Note that a large number of Abstains sends a document back to
the working group.  Unlike recuse positions, which are not counted
in the 2/3 totals, abstains are counted along with yes, no objection,
and discuss.

                        Ted Hardie