Re: [Nea] UPDATED: WG Review: Network Endpoint Assessment (nea)

2006-10-24 10:26:17
what the WG charter says and how the WG output is used are different things. IMHO we need to consider the potential unintended consequences of our efforts in IETF, not just what we intend. network operators do not limit their use of technology to what we write in applicability statements.

Should I infer from this sentiment that you believe that the IETF ought
to refrain from standardizing any technology that could be used by
public or private network operators to discriminate against certain
classes of clients, based on the "posture" of their hosts?

I think it's dangerous territory, and IETF needs to be very careful about how the subject is approached. I don't think the current NEA charter reflects that kind of care, and I don't think that IETF processes for WG adoption really facilitate that kind of care. Within existing IETF structure defining the appropriate direction for a group like NEA probably calls for an IAB workshop - which unfortunately is a lot slower than you want if you're trying to ship product and have it blessed as a standard.

Clearly there is some potential benefit at being able to identify hosts that present a risk to the network to which they are attached. But
there's a very large and unpleasant camel attached to that nose.

Keith