Re: [Nea] UPDATED: WG Review: Network Endpoint Assessment (nea)

2006-10-27 05:56:01
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> wrote:
I don't think it's a good analogy because modem pools are very
special-purpose devices, whereas a host can potentially do anything that
needs to communicate with something else.  For that matter, RADIUS
doesn't have the intent of preventing some kinds of modem pools from
connecting to the network.

  No, but it has the explicit intent of preventing some kinds of hosts
from connecting to the network.  Current RADIUS deployments implement
almost anything you can imagine to control network access for hosts
and/or users, down to filtering the users network traffic.  Current
RADIUS deployments *already* do ad-hoc posture assessment, there are a
number of startups implementing this today.

  I don't see how NEA is such a big philosophical change from existing
RADIUS practices.

  Alan DeKok.