RE: Improving Security with Encryption

2006-11-10 10:40:51
Before we get much further into this could I just point out that these issues
are not unknown?

The content management system built into Windows and Office XP works in this
exact way. It is based on some well known work done at Xerox Parc.

DRM is not very effective as copyright control as copyright content is 'break
once run anywhere'. DRM applied to documents is much more effective because you
do not rely on univerally distributed keys for security.

I don't suggest that the IETF do work in this area as the protocols are
compromised by multiple conflicting IPR claims that make standards progress
infeasible even on RAND terms.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael(_dot_)Dillon(_at_)btradianz(_dot_)com
[mailto:Michael(_dot_)Dillon(_at_)btradianz(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 12:11 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Improving Security with Encryption

I strongly agree and my entire laptop is encrypted.

If this policy you suggest is taken only a little bit too zealously,
your
company will mandate encrypting your work files,

If your company's goal is to prevent corporate espionage then
this is a rather shortsighted way to do it. If an employee
with such an encrypted laptop is sitting in front of the
immigration police who ask him for the encryption passwords
then he would be stupid to refuse to divulge it.

A wiser move would be to require all confidential documents
to be encrypted and stored on a server. Before travelling
such documents should be deleted from the laptop. On reaching
the destination, the documents should be retrieved from the
server. This way, if a laptop is lost, stolen, or in the
hands of some police agency in some country or other, there
is no corporate confidential information on it.

And if there is serious risk associated with the confidential
information, whether monetary risk or legal risk associated
with making information public, then this *TRAVEL* rule
should apply to the daily commute as well.

After all, some of you may have noticed this thing called
"the Internet" which makes it easy to move around encrypted
files to any part of the world where a laptop is likely to travel to.

--Michael Dillon