Re: DNS Choices: Was: [ietf-dkim] Re: Last Call: 'DomainKeys

2006-12-05 20:34:03

On Wednesday, November 22, 2006 04:00:49 PM +0000 Tony Finch <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at> wrote:

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Michael(_dot_)Dillon(_at_)btradianz(_dot_)com wrote:

SMTP, on the other hand is an operational failure and even today, no one
really knows how to properly implement and properly maintain an SMTP
service. The actions of criminals exploiting weaknesses in the SMTP
architecture have led to a series of bandaids that still have not proven
to be effective.

Any communications mechanism which allows you (or your organization) to
receive messages from people (or organizations) you have no prior
relationship with is vulnerable to spam. Spam is NOT an SMTP problem.

Correct. For example, the postal mail system is vulnerable to this same problem:

As is my usual practice, I asked the post office to hold my mail while I was away at IETF 67 (this is a standard service offered by the US Postal Service at no charge). I took some time off after, so when I finally picked up my mail, it was about 3 weeks worth. I received a plastic shopping bag full of mail, and after I sorted through it, I had several bills and a grand total of three other pieces, all of which were prearranged (an issue of QST, a newsletter, and an invitation). The rest of the bag was spam.

-- Jeff