Re: IESG Success Stories

2007-01-05 21:33:03
On 1/5/07, Cullen Jennings <fluffy(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Jan 5, 2007, at 10:03 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

> My gripe is when an outside AD takes an
> interest in the work, goes to the f2f meetings, maybe reads the drafts
> but then waits to IESG evaluation time to DISCUSS their issues. If
> they know they have a problem(s), it would be *far* better to air that
> sooner rather than later for all parties concerned.

I agree with the earlier is better than later for comments from
anyone, AD or not.

A few interesting side cases on this. Some ADs (more than one
actually) recently suggested to a WG that something there were doing
was likely to result in in a DISCUSS when it reached the IESG. One of
the WG members appealed the IESG trying to manipulate WG consensus.

That's completely inaccurate. It was appealed because the IESG engaged
in the behavior I'll quote yet again:

Dave Crocker wrote:
> There is often a failure to distinguish between new and peculiar problems
> created by a particular specification, versus general problems that already
exist.

> A classic example of this is citing basic DNS problems, for specifications
that
> are merely consumers of the DNS and, hence, are not creating any new problems.

Another classic example is citing a basic HTTP security trade-off, and
requiring implementations to make specific choices about
centralization, internationalization, graphic design, scalability, and
security in order to remain conformant. But I digress.

Sort of left me scratching my head on why the WG would not want to
know that early but evidently some folks don't.

Knowing early is good. Sometimes, the IESG happens to insist on
inaccurate and irrelevant requirements, and argument from authority
sometimes results in appeals. There's nothing wrong with that. But
let's face it--no one in the WG was worried about a "dicussion". They
were worried that the document would be blocked for ideological
reasons.

--

Robert Sayre