Re: Intermediate wg summaries

2007-01-08 13:11:55
I think it is helpful to distinguish at least three types of IETF work products:

(1) fully new protocols, at the level of (say) MPLS or NSIS

(2) extensions of existing protocols, such as a new DHCP option or a new RTP payload type (another huge fraction of our current activities)

(3) "bis" versions of existing protocols (a very large chunk of our current repertoire)

Some efforts will fall somewhere in-between, but I suspect that we're mainly worried about (1), and maybe (3) ["ten years hence, what have we learned and should we scrap the old stuff instead of adding a layer of paint"].

Fortunately or unfortunately, the number of concurrent (1) efforts is very small.

Currently, WG and IETF meetings could be a good opportunity to get people to do cross-area review, as they are in IETF mode. However, we seem to have intentionally or unintentionally made this difficult.

In WG meetings, we're encouraged to talk about open issues, which often means that the same three people that have been arguing some angels-on-a-pin point on the mailing list, having lost everybody else, take turns at the microphone, while the remaining 247 people in the audience are paying full attention - to their email. I would find it much more helpful to have the ability to walk into a WG as an interested party that's not on a mailing list and catch up quickly. Interim meetings and phone conferences often seem better suited to that level of detail, particularly for large WGs.

Similarly, in the plenaries, we rehash NAT and RFC-over-HTML arguments or learn about the number of enterprise numbers that have been assigned. That time might be better spent in giving not just the IRTF slot time, but also any (1) and significant (3) development, with an emphasis on the architectural issues being raised by the effort and maybe an attempt to highlight the big-ticket open issues. Right now, the only time this tends to happen, at best, is during the BOF, which is usually and hopefully too early.

Henning

necessarily interested in the subject area are few and far between.
Extra documents don't help much, either, because they're *strongly*
resented by WG members who see them as just more process imposed by the
IESG.

I tried several things myself when I was AD.  If I were still AD, I'd
keep trying.  But I don't have any new ideas, and I'm skeptical of
repeating old ones.