Re: Last Call: draft-siemborski-rfc2554bis (SMTP Service Extension for Authentication) to Proposed Standard

2007-01-26 18:03:46
Lisa Dusseault wrote:

are we looking at the same version of this doc?

No, the last called is -07, it doesn't REQUIRE [DIGEST-MD5] anymore:

| Note that many existing client and server implementations implement
| CRAM-MD5 [CRAM-MD5] SASL mechanism. In order to insure interoperability
| with deployed software new implementations MAY implement it, however
| implementations should be aware that this SASL mechanism doesn't
| provide any server authentication. Implementations that want to provide
| server authentication are encouraged to implement SASL mechanisms such
| as DIGEST-MD5 [DIGEST-MD5].

The MAY is a bit obscure, of course they MAY do this, optionally.  I'd
prefer a clearer SHOULD to s/insure/ensure/ (?) interoperability.  It
has references to 2195 and 2831bis, and talks about SASLprep.  How about
using 2195bis, its "security considerations" might be more up to date ?

The question of the 2195bis status (draft standard vs. informational)
will be interesting, but it won't affect 2554bis, and maybe we'll find
a compromise between those positions.

Frank