RE: [Syslog] Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-syslog-protocol (The syslogProtocol) to Proposed Standard

2007-02-01 11:54:08
I am thinking on how to come this by on the protocol basis, but so far I
have no good clue (except that Baszi is probably right and it is a
purely operational issue). However, I know some problems in this
relation and though it is not a deadlock issue, I would like to share
the scenario for sake of completeness:

It occurs on a typical *nix system that runs both syslogd and the dns
daemon. So it could potentially occur on almost all *nix DNS servers.
The problem exists if syslogd contains rules for remote forwarding AND
these rules do contain hostnames which need to be resolved by DNS. A
typical problem is that syslogd starts before the dns daemon. When it
intend to send a message to the remote host, it must do a dns lookup,
which fails because dns daemon is not yet active. The stock linux
syslogd contains some logic which simply defers the connection request,
but at the cost of some message loss. Other ways to avoid this problem
is to use IP addresses in syslog configuration, host files or, as Baszi
said, special configuration options for static address mapping in
syslgod.

I do not, however, know actual deadlock situations (that is neither
syslogd nor dnsd can proceed because they are waiting on each other). I,
too, would appreciate any details on that.

Rainer