Re: draft-ietf-syslog-protocol: "Reliable delivery considered harmful."

2007-02-02 07:09:03
I'd have to agree with Pekka. We've just gone through this with ATIS and "reliable" accounting, which is quite a bit messier than this problem. So long as the log indicates that something bad has happened, it seems to me that you're covered. Of course, with reliability comes some amount of complexity. If an implementation detects the problem, say, through the other side not ACKing data, it's probably a good idea to switch to one's backup log server, right? I know of no syslogger that behaves in this manner today, although perhaps there are some out there. That doesn't mean we should not provide the function.

Finally, it seems to me we are all arguing over non-normative text. Choice of level of reliability is generally a deployment concern.

Eliot