Re: ietf-moms

2007-02-02 03:07:21
On Thu Feb  1 19:17:00 2007, IETF member Dave Aronson wrote:
Michael Richardson [mailto:mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca] writes:

> If there is interest, I will make a list. If someone has a more PC
 > name, I'll use it.

As we all know, the absolutely most critically important thing about any project, and a mailing list should be no exception, is its name. It should be something already recognizable as having some memorable meaning, that ideally has nothing whatsoever to do with its actual purpose.

Therefore, I propose IETF-SOS: IETF Significant OtherS. Of course, in normal discourse that last S would be lowercase, to show that it is pluralizing the acronym, not adding on another word. However, making that clear would deprive the anal-retentive of yet another fun thing to argue about.

I don't understand why the proposed participants of this list should ignore the well-established procedures of the IETF in such a wholesale manner.

Surely we should consider forming a working group to establish the requirements, preferably publishing its findings an an Informational document.

From there, the WG should recharter, causing an endless argument on the list about whether its requirements have been met already, and if so, by which extant Area.

With rechartering abandoned, a new working group should be proposed, and put through the BoF process, in which several prominent IETFers will argue that the entire process is flawed, or that the name is not representative, or finally that it represents a sneak attack on the standards process by some corporation with a proprietary interest.

After this, the exhausted members of the new WG will cobble together a set of RFCs which ignore the requirements document, now several years out of date, culminating in a document which is never finished, causing it to either languish as a draft or be published as-is with considerable shuffling of feet.

This will represent the document explaining clearly, to interested participants, precisely what this list might have been for, if only the document had been finished, thus eliminating any concern about what the name of the list might have stood for had it actually been created.

Frankly, your suggestion that we should ignore existing precedent astounds me, and compells me to mount a vacuous ad hominen attack on you on this list.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)jabber(_dot_)org