Re: Last Call: draft-mcwalter-langtag-mib (Language Tag MIB) to Proposed Standard

2007-02-10 10:52:55
The IESG <iesg dash secretary at ietf dot org> wrote:

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the following document:

- 'Language Tag MIB '
  <draft-mcwalter-langtag-mib-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document defines a profile of RFC 4646 language tags for use in a particular application, by restricting the tags to lowercase and no more than 60 characters in length.

There is a recommended casing convention described in RFC 4646, section 2.1 (e.g. "hmn-Latn-LA"), but tags are not intended to be case-sensitive, and applications such as this one may choose a different convention if it suits them.

Section 4.3 of RFC 4646 discusses tag length limitations and suggests a minimum length limit of 42 characters. The proposed limit of 60 characters in the I-D is greater than that minimum, and much greater than the likely maximum length of any non-private-use tag, and should pose no problem.

Since tags of 1 character are never well-formed, I suggest that the definition:

  SYNTAX      OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..60))

be amended to exclude the 1-character case. I assume that a zero-length tag, while also not defined in RFC 4646, was included in the I-D to allow the special case of "no tag."

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/