Re: Last Call: draft-iesg-sponsoring-guidelines (Guidance on Area Director Sponsoring of Documents) to Informational RFC

2007-02-11 04:19:04
Frank

On 2007-02-10 01:07, Frank Ellermann wrote:

...  I don't like this draft, "send publication
request to secretariat" is more attractive than spamming ADs.

You probably need to understand what happens when someone
does that. The Secretariat simply forwards the note to the
IESG. After a while, the IESG Chair will (with luck) have
handled everything that looks urgent, and will take a glance
at draft-smith-my-new-idea and make an uninformed guess that it
fits the smurf Area. (So far, elapsed time is a couple of weeks
wait plus 3 minutes attention.) The IESG Chair will send a note
to one or both smurf ADs saying "Can you have a look at this?".
And then the process proposed by draft-iesg-sponsoring-guidelines
actually starts - probably with another wait until one of
those ADs has handled everything that looks urgent.

It makes a lot more sense, IMHO, for the author to decide
that her work fits the smurf Area and write directly to the
ADs. In either case, the first real step is for those ADs
to look at the draft and respond to the author.

    Brian