Protest: Complexity running rampant

2007-02-19 02:56:15
My attention has recently been drawn to this set of documents:

- draft-legg-xed-asd
- draft-legg-xed-asd-gserei
- draft-legg-xed-asd-xerei
- draft-legg-xed-rxer
- draft-legg-xed-rxer-ei

It's, as far as I can tell, an attempt at a complete reimplementation of ASN.1 using XML.

I was very strongly reminded of a 1992 quip by Marshall Rose:
ASN.1 is probably the greatest failure of the OSI effort, it led
hundreds of engineers, including myself, to devise data structures that
were far too complicated for their own good.
Now, what has changed in the last 15 years that:

- Makes this complexity valuable, where before it was harmful
- Makes the IETF community the right place to standardize this complexity?

The deadline for comments is theoretically passed:

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following documents:

- 'Abstract Syntax Notation X (ASN.X) Representation of Encoding Instructions for the XML Encoding Rules (XER) '
   <draft-legg-xed-asd-xerei-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Encoding Instructions for the Robust XML Encoding Rules (RXER) '
   <draft-legg-xed-rxer-ei-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Abstract Syntax Notation X (ASN.X) Representation of Encoding Instructions for the Generic String Encoding Rules (GSER) '
   <draft-legg-xed-asd-gserei-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Robust XML Encoding Rules (RXER) for Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1) '
   <draft-legg-xed-rxer-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Abstract Syntax Notation X (ASN.X) '
   <draft-legg-xed-asd-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2007-02-14. Exceptionally, comments may be sent to iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-legg-xed-asd-xerei-03.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-legg-xed-rxer-ei-04.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-legg-xed-asd-gserei-03.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-legg-xed-rxer-07.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-legg-xed-asd-07.txt

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=10739&rfc_flag=0

But it is not yet approved by the IESG, so it's not too late to comment.

Let the arguments begin...

                Harald