Re: Protest: Complexity running rampant

2007-02-20 11:55:00
At 9:49 AM -0500 2/19/07, John C Klensin wrote:

For the record, I would have no problems with Informational or Experimental
publication of this collection -- it is the proposed decision to standardize
that bothers me.

When I first discussed publication of this with the IESG, I pointed out that the
author had asked for Proposed Standard, but I was more likely to support
Informational or Experimental.  At the time, Sam asked that it remain
under consideration for standards track (at least up until the ballot
discussion).
One point raised was how easy it would be to reference these as encodings
if they were informational or experimental, but I believe Sam had other
points as well.  Given the ongoing discussion, I asked Russ to Defer this
document;
that will give Sam a chance to come back from vacation and enter the discussion,
and all of us a chance to continue it.  My current take-away from the discussion
is that the broader community would prefer we start with Informational or
Experimental and consider the need to deal with downrefs as signals that this
has sufficient constituencies to need standardization.

Another point made in private was that many of the reviewers of this document
to date have been familiar enough with ASN.1 that those aspects of this encoding
were not surprising or difficult; that may be why the model issues were not
raised earlier.  I'm happy that in the case the Last Call discussion has raised
the
point, and if Russ's defer does not give us enough time to terminate the
discussion,
I'll withdraw the document.  If we can conclude on a community recommendation
(e.g. for Informational or Experimental) before that, though, it would be nice
for my successor, who will otherwise need to take these on.

                        regards,
                                Ted