RE: DNS role (RE: NATs as firewalls, cryptography, and curbing DDoS threats.)

2007-03-07 18:07:15
OK I will restate.

All connection initiation should be exclusively mediated through the DNS and
only the DNS.

The reason I introduced the term signalling was precisely because setting up a
connection today involves more than naming. Saying that the DNS should be the
exclusive naming infrastructure is not a new position. What I am saying is that
today session initiation involves more than the DNS and that this makes the
IPv4/IPv6 transition more difficult than it should be.

-----Original Message-----
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand [mailto:harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no]
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 6:01 PM
To: Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: DNS role (RE: NATs as firewalls, cryptography, and
curbing DDoS threats.)

Here I was thinking that the DNS needs to be an useful name
lookup service for the Internet to function, and now PHB
tells me it's a signalling layer.

Either I have seriously misunderstood the nature of
"signalling", seriously misunderstood the nature of the DNS,
or I have reason to dislike this term.

*shudder*.

            Harald

--On 7. mars 2007 12:51 -0800 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip"
<pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Doug makes a critical point here:

In order to successfully make a technology transition at
the IP layer
we have to change the way in which we use the DNS layer.

Another way to look at the routing problems exposed by NAT is that
they are the result of relying on the IP layer for
signalling rather
than the DNS.

I fully agree with John's desire for a coherent Internet
architecture.
If we want to successfully make the transition from IPv4 to IPv6 we
have to consider the DNS as the end-to-end signalling
infrastructure
rather than viewing this as being shared between the DNS
and the IP layer beneath it.