Re: TLS requirements (Last Call: draft-ietf-atompub-protocol to Proposed Standard)

2007-03-14 07:53:52
Julian Reschke <julian(_dot_)reschke(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de> writes:

Brian E Carpenter schrieb:
On 2007-03-13 20:43, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
The text that got used in CalDAV (which is about to be published) is:

  o  MUST support transport over TLS [RFC2246] as defined in [RFC2818]
     (note that [RFC2246] has been obsoleted by [RFC4346]);

with 2246, 2818 and 4346 all normative references. These type of
"up-references" are not ideal and I believe there was some
discussion going on somewhere about how better to deal with this
type of situation.

As pointed out before, that text really is confusing. As a reader. I'm
left wondering whether I need to implement RFC2246 or RFC4346. Or both?

I wish I knew the answer to this question as well... :)

Seriously, we're shortly going three separate versions of TLS
standardized, 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2, plus SSLv3. So, the question
of what to require implementors to do is a tricky one that
actually doesn't have that much to do with TLS :)

-Ekr