Re: TLS requirements (Last Call: draft-ietf-atompub-protocol to Proposed Standard)

2007-03-13 12:30:42
Sam Hartman wrote:
I think both 2818 and 4346 contain important details and need to be
normative.

That makes sense to me. However, I initially thought the references had been mistakenly switched around.

From the draft:
 At a minimum, client and server implementations MUST be capable of
 being configured to use HTTP Basic Authentication [RFC2617] in
 conjunction with a TLS connection as specified by [RFC2818].  See
[RFC4346] for more information on TLS.

This text is actively misleading, because it suggests RFC 4346 is included for informational purposes. The text should read:

"At a minimum, client and server implementations MUST be capable of
being configured to use HTTP Basic Authentication [RFC2617] in
conjunction with a TLS connection as specified by [RFC2818] and
[RFC4346]."

- Rob