re: [16NG] Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-16ng-ipv6-over-ipv6cs

2007-03-18 23:37:03
Hello folks,
       Sorry for the following code, because my outlook is Chinese version,
please see inline straight.
Thanks
Alice

发件人: Alexandru Petrescu [mailto:alexandru(_dot_)petrescu(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
发送时间: 2007年3月15日 19:15
收件人: Basavaraj Patil
抄送: ext Alexandru Petrescu; ipv6(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; IETF-Announce;
16ng(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
主题: Re: [16NG] Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-16ng-ipv6-over-ipv6cs

Basavaraj Patil wrote:
Alex,

On 3/14/07 11:47 AM, "ext Alexandru Petrescu"
<alexandru(_dot_)petrescu(_at_)gmail(_dot_)
com>
wrote:

Basavaraj Patil wrote:
Hello,

A slightly revised version of the I-D is now available at:

http://people.nokia.net/~patil/IDs/draft-ietf-16ng-ipv6-over-ipv6cs-09.txt

This revision incorporates changes based on some of the comments made
by
the
directorate. It will be submitted to the ID repository as soon as the
gates
are opened.
Raj, is there a plan to deal with the interoperability issue where the
AP tells the Station to auto-configure statelessly and the AR tells it
statefully?

The AP may send REG-RSP telling the Station to use DHCP.

The AR may send an RA telling the Station to use SLAAC.

The issue arises when we consider managed and unmanaged hosts as defined
by
802.16. Managed hosts are the ones that may use the secondary management
connection. Secondary management connection is optional and as we have
discussed in the past this is an option in the .16 specs that exists but
very likely unused. I can tell you that in the case of Mobile WiMAX the
secondary management connection is not used.

Ok.  I'm wondering whether IEEE can mention to Mobile WiMax that the
secondary management connection seems mandatory.  Sure that's not IETF
matter, but IETF does IPv6, and for IEEE IPv6 config happens only on the
SMC (secondary management connection)... complicated.

[qinxia] SMC is used for network management in 16d, we may ignore it in 16e,
RA could be transported over general connection.

I agree that a BS and the AR should be synchronized in terms of what
method
is indicated to the MS for address configuration.

There may be an interoperability issue, if the two indicators are
different.

Yes.

This issue can of course be considered as a network management issue,
where advice could be given to network deployers of AR and AP to
configure their networks correctly.

Correct. A deployment should be able to ensure that the indication to
the
MS
in the REG-RSP and RA are synchronized. I can add some text in the I-D
ensure that this issue is noted in the address configuration section.

Right, this is what I meant.  I think it's a good way forward for the
IPv6-CS draft until Mobile WiMax and IEEE figure out.

[qinxia]  It is odd to indicate address configuration via REG-RSP such Layer
2 signaling, IMHO, I do not think that there is any requirement to adopt
other method to inform address configuration. RA is enough.

And this is a time when both 802.16 is changing (Corrigendum 2 under
discussion but still allows AP to indicate to MN what autoconf method
use) and the RA definition is changing (draft-2462bis indicates 'M'
flag
may not be used, but an 'autonomous' flag instead).

What do you think?  Do I get this issue correctly?  Or is the issue
important, less important, etc.

This is a valid issue but I think it can be clarified in the I-D itself
by
recognizing it and recommending that the indication by the BS and AR are
synced. We can also mention it to IEEE but that is about the scope of
things
that we can do.

I agree.  I have a list of such issues that could be mentioned to IEEE.
  I'm not talking put requirements to IEEE, just mention the potential
issues.

Alex