Re: IETF LC comments on draft-williams-on-channel-binding-01.txt

2007-03-27 09:26:07
Nicolas Williams <Nicolas(_dot_)Williams(_at_)sun(_dot_)com> writes:

Alexey Melnikov made some comments in private.  They should probably go
to the ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org list.  Their gist: there should be an IANA
registry
of channels with channel bindings, their specifications, and a
well-known string to be prefixed to said channels' channel bindings
octet strings.

Alexey has agreed to propose text and I've agreed to consider it (though
I believe such a registry to not be necessary, I also believe it not
harmful, and if Alexey finds it useful then I don't object to that
addition).

I would also find such a registry and string prefixes useful, and
would support adding such text.

Having a registry will make it easier (although not easy) to upgrade
from one channel binding syntax to another for a particular protocol.

Further, it will be simple for application to identify which channel
binding was used, and consequently help to determine which library
APIs to invoke to get the channel binding to compare with.

/Simon