RE: RFID (was: identifying yourself at the mic)

2007-03-27 09:57:30
On the flip side, you could be arguing that nobody would be able to
understand
what I said without your helpful intervention.  Must get tiring having
to put words
in other people's mouths all of the time...

Thanks!

--
Eric Gray
Principal Engineer
Ericsson

________________________________

        From: Schliesser, Benson [mailto:bensons(_at_)savvis(_dot_)net]
        Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:27 PM
        To: Eric Gray (LO/EUS)
        Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
        Subject: RE: RFID (was: identifying yourself at the mic)

        Eric-

        It sounds like your argument is: "We're too incompetent to say
our names at the mic, so we're probably too incompetent to use a RFID
system."  Did I get that right?

        While I'm certainly not going to defend the competence of every
IETF participant, I don't find much merit in that argument. In my
(unscientific) first-hand experiences, it seems that most people do
manage to wear their nametags at the meeting. And many of the names on
those tags are of cultural origins other than my own, i.e. from a
non-English speaking country. If I could actually see the name of the
person speaking, it seems like a great improvement over hearing a name
which is unintelligible to my ears or hearing no name at all. And if
somebody forgets their RFID-badge, then I'm no worse off than I am
today.

        In other words, I think we could come up with a system that
worked well enough to be a net improvement over our current operational
model.

        On the other hand, I am amused by your idea of scanning the
streets for RFID responses that look like IETF-badges. Then my robot
army could track down and kill all IETF participants whom oppose my
plans to take over the Internet! Or maybe I could just use them for some
fun practical jokes instead...

        Cheers,
        -Benson