RE: RFID (was: identifying yourself at the mic)

2007-03-27 13:53:23

Steven M. Bellovin [mailto:smb(_at_)cs(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu] wrote:

"Schliesser, Benson" <bensons(_at_)savvis(_dot_)net> wrote:
On the other hand, I am amused by your idea of scanning the streets
for RFID responses that look like IETF-badges. Then my robot army
could track down and kill all IETF participants whom oppose my plans
to take over the Internet! Or maybe I could just use them for some
fun practical jokes instead...

RFIDs carry serious privacy risks, and IETFers *do* (and will) forget
to take them off (and in this case, wrap them in aluminum foil or some
such).  To give just one example, does everyone in the IETF want
everyone else to have the potential to know who's in which
hotel rooms?

But wouldn't it be fun if every time an IESG member got into the
elevator it deposited him/her on the roof? Or if wind-up Bert dolls
followed each member of the IAB?

More seriously speaking, this system doesn't have to be based on RFID.
If it's not realistic to secure an RFID-based system then perhaps
another format would be more appropriate. Being only marginally aware of
RFID technologies, I may be making poor assumptions. Such as that a
requirement of very-near proximity could be enforced, and perhaps even
some form of rudimentary authentication can be used between the RFID
badges and readers, etc. Is this unrealistic?

If so, would something like a barcode system be viable? Or perhaps a
simple video camera displaying the speaker's head and badge? (with
double-sided badges, perhaps) The allure of RFID is that it could be
more automated. I can imagine hearing at future meetings, "scan your
barcode" instead of "state your name". Are there other options?

Cheers,
-Benson