Re: Remote participation (re: identifying yourself at the mic)

2007-03-27 13:53:23

On Tuesday, March 27, 2007 01:10:25 PM -0700 Joel Jaeggli <joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com> wrote:

Nicolas Williams wrote:
It'd be nice if there was a way for remote participants who are able to
speak to do so.  We tried ad-hoc VOIP + MP3 feed at IETF67 in the KITTEN
WG, but the round-trip latency was awful -- we need a better solution.

Given such a facility we'll end up with a mutual need by participants in
the room and remote participants to identify each other, which will
nicely solve the problem :)

echo cancellation in a room full of live microphones is problematic.
there's hardware that can help, but what you really need is floor
control in the form of person who controls who can speak via mixing.

I've seen that to be the case even with only the local microphones. Several groups I participate in regularly have taken to having each speaker turn the mic on when they speak and off when they are done, which unfortunately adds a bit of latency with wireless mics that require a couple of seconds to warm up. I've also had at least one occasion where I was using the mute buttons on the mixing board for floor control, but that's fairly primitive and it's nearly impossible to run a meeting and mix it at the same time.

Maybe we need another team of volunteers to mix the meetings(*), instead of assuming that static settings will be good enough. This could have the added benefit of relieving the chair of the burden of telling people over and over to speak their names....

(*) At most half-serious, though if someone showed up to run the mixer in my next meeting, I wouldn't complain. :-)

-- Jeff