Re: Remote participation (re: identifying yourself at the mic)

2007-03-27 13:53:23

On Tuesday, March 27, 2007 03:46:27 PM -0500 Nicolas Williams <Nicolas(_dot_)Williams(_at_)sun(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 04:42:33PM -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
On Tuesday, March 27, 2007 02:39:49 PM -0500 Nicolas Williams
<Nicolas(_dot_)Williams(_at_)sun(_dot_)com> wrote:

> It'd be nice if there was a way for remote participants who are able to
> speak to do so.  We tried ad-hoc VOIP + MP3 feed at IETF67 in the
> KITTEN WG, but the round-trip latency was awful -- we need a better
> solution.

It's worth noting that in that particular experiment, the round trip
time  was dominated by the latency of the multicast audio feed which we
were  using for one half of the link.  If we were to try this again,
we'd use the  VOIP link for both directions to the remote speaker, to
avoid annoying  latency issues.

Which should deal with the echo cancellation issues, provided a
conference bridge, say.  That should work for remote presenters.

For other remote participants a VOIP teleconference system would be
great.  We do this all the time at Sun internally for large meetings, so
it should work.  (The IETF might have to charge remote participants a
conference call fee, if it uses a third party provider, say.)

Perhaps Sun would like to volunteer its system for an experiment?

-- Jeff