Re: RFID

2007-03-27 17:23:52
Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

On Tuesday, March 27, 2007 03:51:56 PM -0700 Andy Bierman <ietf(_at_)andybierman(_dot_)com> wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonk_%28slang%29

According to wikipedia, a policy wonk is
someone knowledgeable about and fascinated by details of government
policy and programs

If that is derogatory then I'm sorry.

It carries a derogatory connotation.

IMO it is accurate to say there are many people in
the IETF that fit this description.

And I don't dispute that. I just don't think it's appropriate to apply that description to people who say "XXX, tell us your name!" the third time someone gets up to the mic without saying their name.

I find it rather annoying to listen to the constant interruptions,
reminding people of the process.  The only reasons for such an
interruption are:

 1) it is very important to you that detailed and accurate minutes
    record every "he said, she said" comment made at the microphone

 2) you plan to base your opinion of the imminent comment on either
    who says it or more likely, what company they work for

In either case, the interruption is not adding value to the technical
discussion.

-- Jeff

Andy