RE: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-04-09 07:09:28
Dean:

I always recuse myself from IESG evaluation of a document for which I am an author. You will find this to be the normal practice for all IESG members.

I have no financial interest in PedPhone Security or the patent filing. I provided consulting services to RedPhone Security; it was a simple work for hire.

I have no investors in my very small consulting company: Vigil Security, LLC. I am the owner, and I am the only full-time employee.

Russ

ItAt 07:47 PM 4/7/2007, Dean Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Russ Housley wrote:

> Dean:
>
> >I'm still not clear on a few things:
> >
> >-- When did Russ Housley learn of the Patent Filing?
>
> I was aware that Mark Brown was working on a patent; however, I did
> not begin working with him until after his provisional patent
> application was filed.  I did not see the claims until the filing
> became public.
>
> Since I knew that a patent was in the works, but I did not know the
> details, at the time we submitted the -00  draft to the repository
> (which was February 2006), I reminded Mark Brown that an IPR
> statement might be necessary.

How long did it take to produce the draft? Presumably, you must have
started working on the project earlier than the date of submission.
Did you know of the patent application before submission?

I note that you recused yourself from the decisions made on this draft.
That is commendable. It also implies that you stand to benefit somehow
from the draft. But the patent (assuming it is granted) gives Brown and
Wilke a monopoly on the technology.  How is it, in general terms, that
you will benefit from this draft?  Do you have, perhaps, a favorable
license agreement with Brown?  Perhaps stock in Brown's company?  Did
Brown agree to invest in your company?  Is there another patent
application? As it stands, the information we have, indicates that only
Brown stands to benefit, and this doesn't explain your involvement in
these drafts. Some clarity on how you stand to benefit would be helpful.

617 344 9000