Re: [Emu] Last call comments: draft-williams-on-channel-binding-01.txt: EAP channel bindings

2007-04-11 23:04:46
Hi Sam,

Here is my take on this topic:

After having reviewed "draft-williams-on-channel-binding-01," I feel that putting EAP in scope of that document would require a rather involved revision of the document. As Charles noted it might require further abstraction of the concept of channel binding as defined in draft-williams.

Now, I must say, I do see the similarities between the two notions of channel binding. But the EAP/AAA model is unique and it is not easy to map it to the other, let's say simpler, security models. The notion of compound binding or crypto binding also has some similarities to the notion of channel binding in draft-williams-on-channel-binding-01, but there are also some differences.

Overall though, since expanding draft-williams-on-channel-binding-01's scope to EAP means that the requirements, recommendations and suggestions of Section 2.1 may be applied to EAP channel binding, it would be a rather painful exercise to sort it all out. For now, I am comfortable with the guidance in Section 7.15 of 3748.

thanks,
Lakshminath

Sam Hartman wrote:

Hi.

For the last couple of years, we've been believing that EAP and GSS
used the term channel bindings inconsistently.  For those of us
dealing with both, it's been a bit annoying.

I've been thinking about EAP a lot lately. and have come to the
conclusion that actually the terms are used consistently.

I'd like to see if people agree with the following change to Nico's channel
binding draft:

old:

   Also unfortunately there is a conflict with the Extensible
   Authentication Protocol (EAP) [RFC3748] which uses "channel binding"
   to refer to a facility that is subtly different from the one
   described here.  (It does not seem feasible to adopt new terminology
   to avoid these problems now.  The GSS-API, NFSv4 and other
   communities have been using the terms "channel binding" and "channel
   bindings" in these ways for a long time, sometimes with variations
   such as "channel binding facility" and so on.)

new:

The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) [RFC3748] includes two
facilities related to channel binding.  The first, called channel
binding, is used to bind the lower-layer channel created between the
peer and the authenticator to the authentication performed using EAP.
Specific detials of this facility have not been specified, but it is
likely that this channel would use endpoint channel bindings carried
in the EAP method exchange.  The endpoint channel bindings would be
defined for the specific lower layer.  EAP also has a facility called
cryptographic binding, which is another instance of channel binding.
Cryptographic binding refers to binding the channel created by a
tunneling EAP method to an inner authentication performed within that
method.  Cryptographic binding will likely use unique channel
bindings.

Do these changes make sense to people?  Am I telling any lies or
conflating two architectures in a bad way?