Re: [Emu] Last call comments: draft-williams-on-channel-binding-01.txt: EAP channel bindings

2007-04-13 16:06:41
"Lakshminath" == Lakshminath Dondeti <ldondeti(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
writes:

    >>  I think that having a single abstraction that can describe
    >> what went by multiple names in different areas can be very
    >> useful because it facilitates cross-area communication.  And
    >> missing an opportunity to point out how two things are more
    >> similar than they look would help perpetuate a perception that
    >> those two things are more different than they actually are.

    Lakshminath> I can see your point of view.  The other thing to
    Lakshminath> worry about is that the more we try to cover under a
    Lakshminath> single abstraction, the more watered down it might
    Lakshminath> become to satisfy all viewpoints of applicability to
    Lakshminath> all of the domains.  In fact, I find the requirements
    Lakshminath> and recommendations in the draft troublesome.

    Lakshminath> As I thought about it, perhaps here is something that
    Lakshminath> might make sense:

    Lakshminath> Define channel binding so that we can cover all uses
    Lakshminath> of that term. Define properties and specify how one
    Lakshminath> can achieve those properties.  Not sure this next one
    Lakshminath> needs to be done in the current draft, define which
    Lakshminath> properties apply to which protocol.  Alternatively,
    Lakshminath> different protocol drafts may specify which of the
    Lakshminath> properties are required or recommended in each case.

    Lakshminath> Does that make sense?

That makes sense; I think that is exactly what we're doing.  I
continue to believe, having read all the messages here that my
original text is very close to correct in describing the EAP channel
bindings problems.  I'd love to talk to someone off-line to discuss
this, because there is some obvious confusion somewhere.  The more I
read what you, Bernard and Charles say, the more I'm convinced that I
agree with your description of EAP and that my text is correct.  The
more I talk, the more you're convinced that my text is wrong.
We're talking past each other somehow.