RE: Last Call: draft-ietf-inch-iodef (The Incident Object Description Exchange Format) to Proposed Standard

2007-04-25 06:23:24
Hi,
I am sorry for the lateness of this message. [According to the tracker I
haven't totally missed my opportunity yet.]

I believe that publishing draft-ietf-inch-iodef would greatly benefit the
Internet community. This document defines an XML schema to exchange
information about network incidents (e.g., attacks, disruptions, etc). For a
good chunk of years many people have discussed sharing such information
amongst trusted (or even trustable) peers; many groups have given up
defining an acceptable means as the task is thought of as too hard. Although
multi-year in length, the INCH WG crafted an exchange format that many
organizations find attractive -- it's very flexible, one doesn't need
special tools to code/decode, and it's nearly out the door complete.
Although purists find fault with everything, and I'm by no means unbiased in
this area, I have been surprised by the likely implementers easy acceptance
of the latest version of the doc (nobody seems to raise the worrisome
'technical issues').

Some consortia have even started using it to share incident data which could
imply that the details of the document may actually work. [I'm in a
consortia that is using this document to share network incident data.]

I hope the IESG approves the document for publication as an RFC.

Pat Cain