Re: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns (fwd)

2007-04-25 08:15:18
Forwarded on behalf of Dean.

/Simon

Dean Anderson <dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com> writes:

Simon, could you please forward this to the IETF list. I suspect there
are many people who don't know about the WIPO filing, or don't realize
what it means for them.

Thanks,

              --Dean

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:21:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dean Anderson <dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com>
To: Simon Josefsson <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org>
Cc: Mark Brown <mark(_at_)redphonesecurity(_dot_)com>,
hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu,
     ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org, iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call:
    draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Simon Josefsson wrote:

Finally, here is another problem to consider: Your patent isn't valid
in the entire world.

This isn't exactly true. RedphoneSecurity has a WIPO patent filing. That
gives them priority in every WIPO country, which is basically the
civilized world.  (184 member countries).
http://www.wipo.int/members/en/

The patent is valid for priority in Sweden.  Swedish residents will have
to obtain a patent license.

              --Dean

 You will run into situations where a manufacture
is not bound or affected by your license.  Only end-users or
re-distributors in some countries will be affected.  I believe this is
the case for GnuTLS, I developed the tls-authz functionality in Sweden
and as far as I can tell your patent isn't valid here.  I see no
reason to request or agree with the GUL.  You may want to offer a
license not only to manufacturers, but to end-users or
re-distributors.  This makes the licensing situation much more
complex.

617 344 9000