RE: [address-policy-wg] Re: Can the RIRs bypass the IETF and do their own thing?

2007-05-15 10:23:51

The US DoC has as much say for ARIN as it does for the RIPE NCC.

The US DoC, through IANA functions, says, e.g., what IP Address blocks
each can allocate.  That seems to qualify as 'much say'

Didn't say how much say, just said that whatever say it had for ARIN it was the
same as it had for the RIPE NCC.

You seem to be confusing delegation of authority with loss of
authority.
The DoC has contracted the IANA function to ICANN and doesn't involve
itself much, and ultimately plans to get out altogether.  However, the
IANA operator (ICANN) then has 'much say'.  But the DoC 'get out
altogether' event hasn't happened yet.  So you can't write out the DoC
just yet.

Don't how you arrived at that conclusion based on a casual observation. Not
writing them out, don't know how you got that.

The RIRs existed before ICANN. The relationship between the RIRs and
ICANN is defined in the ASO MoU, an agreement between ICANN on the
one
hand and the NRO on behalf of the RIRs on the other.  There is no
mention in the ICANN bylaws of the RIRs.

The fallacy of this claim was already stated:

What is false about those statements?

 RIRs get their authority
and IP Address Allocations, etc from IANA.  The fact that RIRs existed
before ICANN is irrelevant, because IANA existed before the RIRs. And,
as I noted, IANA functions are now contracted to ICANN. Technically, it
is in fact the IANA (not ICANN) that has direct control over RIRs. But,
as I pointed out, ICANN has full control over IANA functions by
contract
with the US Government. And, as I pointed out, the IETF is a technical
consultant to ICANN. The MoUs are just that: Memoranda of
Understanding.
MoUs can be terminated, and don't supercede the contracts with the US
Government.

Never intimated anything about authority lines or derivation of authority, just
pointing out some of the factors in the relationship between ICANN and the RIRs.

Ray