Re: [address-policy-wg] Re: Can the RIRs bypass the IETF and do their own thing?

2007-05-15 01:40:41
Hi,

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 03:04:19PM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
[..]
ICANN can end the MoU at any time, and find a new technical consultant.
The IETF can also end the MoU at any time. But the IETF doesn't have the
authority to appoint a new IANA operator.
[..]
The RIR's can do whatever ICANN and the US Government allow them to do.
The IETF _can_ be taken out of the picture if there is cause to do so.

Not quite.  If ICANN decides "we won't listen to IETF anymore", or "we
try to inforce non-useful politics to the RIRs" there is no big reason
why the RIRs couldn't just kick ICANN, install the NRO in its place, and
change the structure to

      IETF -> NRO -> RIRs

Remember: the existing mechanism works, because the communities (!!) agree
that it's a useful way to handle address distribution.

The US DoC might have some say for ARIN, but the rest of the world
couldn't care less - and I'm sure that the DoC is well aware of this and
won't try to break apart working structures.

So this is all sort of academic.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  113403

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279