Re: On the IETF Consensus process

2007-05-23 18:57:41
Hi Jeff,

On a first scan of your email I thought to myself, I agree with most of it and so pondered about the problem that I was trying to put forth in front of the community. The conclusion was that indeed if everyone follows the rules and if the checks and balances work as they are supposed to, perhaps there are no problems. Unfortunately though, our system of checks and balances is that people need to object, as you put it; often people at the losing end of an argument may object and thus may be dismissed.

Consider what happens if a WG chair or an AD's decisions are skewed, either intentionally or because they are naturally biased towards a particular philosophy? Often people tend to try and live with it or adjust to it. There is not really a viable avenue to provide feedback about the AD. Appealing (happens rarely) or recalling (never happened?) are drastic measures.

Next, I agree that all the decisions are public, but I will note that not many people have the bandwidth to know what all is going on (there are ADs who don't monitor WG mailing lists on a regular basis). There is also the tendency to be silent hoping that other people will raise the issue.

For instance, I had started thinking more clearly about BoF processes and how a small set of people can derail a BoF process after I started this thread. A few vocal people at the mic and secret reports from IAB members (conflicts of interest seem to go unnoticed) can undo months worth of work and the proponents have to wait 4 more months to do anything. There is no reason it needs to be that way.

There is the idealistic mode of operation and there is reality. We need to take reality into account and work on fixing the way we work.

regards,
Lakshminath