Re: On the IETF Consensus process

2007-05-23 22:29:30

BOF's are not working groups, and in most cases, they don't get to
make consensus decisions.  In particular, they do _not_ get to decide
whether a working group will be formed or what its charter will say
(though this seems to be a common misconception).  Those decisions
rest with the sponsoring AD(s) and the IESG; the purpose of a BOF is
to guage interest and provide a forum for community input.

I would add that a successful BOF results in
having some idea from the room of what the
charter should be. Often this is different
from what initial proposals were floated
before the meeting; after the meeting
specific text for the charter is discussed
on the BOF mailing list. And, at the very
end of the process, we have IETF review
of the new charter. So the final determination
rests with the IETF community, and is done
over e-mail. Of course, before we get that far
the BOF chairs, ADs, the IESG, and the IAB need
to be happy with the proposal as well.

Jari