Re: On the IETF Consensus process

2007-05-25 16:14:40
The process issues I am raising are fixable. People need to be aware of the issues and communicate better. We need to think of ways to force transparency and remove the bad apples from positions of power as soon as possible: If a lot of people feel that an AD or an IAB member is not following process, biased or otherwise incompetent, well then, as painful as it might be, we need to put the recall process to test. There is no need to wait until the regular nomcom cycle.

Next, I know a number of people at the IETF who care about our principles, are passionate about following them and who argue for them, sometimes at the cost of their careers at their places of employment. Those are the "IETF."

Finally, whereas I may have examples where things could be better or where I was unable to get some things done at the IETF, I am raising these issues independent of any one particular issue or problem. What I am learning in the process is that some look at all of this from an "idealistic" viewpoint and think that everything is fine and a few who think that drastic measures are needed. I am of the view point that we need more transparency and that we need to introduce more checks and balances on ADs and IAB members in how they exercise their power. Many of us will be at the losing end of arguments and that may have serious implications in the real world; but, as long as the process is fair and open, and the rules are followed, we should all be able to deal with being at the losing end of arguments.

I am optimistic that we can make the process fair and open.

best regards,
Lakshminath